[Marxism] Kettle of hawks

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 22:03:27 MST 2008

Gary MacLennan <gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My own gut feeling is that yes we will get to a stage when the criticisms of
> Obama will have critical mass. They certqainly seem to be having that effect
> even on this list!

Here's the essence of the problem, I think.

When I think of something like a critical mass, I think of it
materialist terms...that you reach a point where something happens.
We're agreed that we can talk about critical mass in terms of changing
perceptions in the real world.  But what could be meant by a "critical
mass" on an email list?  Do we get to a certain point and have the
electrons of everyone whose surname begins with "S" start forming a
chorus line and kick there way across the monitor?

All the impressive posturing on an email list means nothing in terms
of breaking down illusions.  We're the same people and sort of people
who were here having this discussion a year ago.  I'd be so much more
impressed with the  jawboning in cyberspace if it aimed at reaching
anybody new...

I mean, there's absolutely no reason I can see that there wasn't an
antiwar demonstration called in the middle of the election cycle.

And I have no idea why one isn't in the works right now.

ML