[Marxism] Adjunct abuse

bauerly at yorku.ca bauerly at yorku.ca
Wed Dec 3 12:54:21 MST 2008

We are living this in Canada also.  Currently 50,000 students have been without
class for 4 weeks as CUPE local 3903 has been on strike.  The main issues of
the strike revolve around job security for contract faculty (over 700 total CA
or adjuncts) and issues around maintaining our benefits and wages as numbers of
contract faculty, TA's and GA's have swelled (which was a good contract due to
an 11 week strike in 2000/2001).  York University now relies on this group to
teach over 50% of all of its undergrad classes yet it constitutes only 11.1% of
the University budget (down from 15.6% in 1998 as our membership grew by 30%).
This means that more of the University classes are being taught for a lot less
money.

The situation just got more serious as back-to-work legislation has just been
put forward in the house of commons. We are escalating our strike in response
to the Osgoode law school and Shulic (yes shoe-lick) business school have been
attempting to restart classes and the admin has been refusing to negotiate or
increase its offer.

For more info go to:
http://www.3903strike.ca/
http://www.cupe3903.tao.ca/