[Marxism] Seymour/Ayers

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Dec 4 07:27:10 MST 2008

John O'Brien:
I believe you are mistaken on this point.  The SWP only a couple of
times had people meet with the NLF (PRG) and North Vietnam representatives.

Reply:
I wasn't talking about the SWP. I was talking about the antiwar
coalitions, which included the CPUSA-led ones as well. It was these
broad-based mass action oriented formations that the Vietnamese oriented to.

John:
I knew of many of these ultra left flag wavers - and some met far more
often with the Vietnamese.  The Vietnam CP leadership was open to
meeting with anyone who was opposed to the U. S. governments war of
brutality being waged against them.

Reply:
Unfortunately, the flag wavers (including the agent provocateurs in
their midst) were too "radical" to bother forming an organization so how
in the world would the Vietnamese be in a position to meet with them?

John:
I had been in SDS before joining the YSA in 1967 and I rejoined SDS
after being expelled on my birthday in January 1969 from the YSA for
being Gay (and refusing to stay in the closet)  and I was with SDS when
they met with the Vietnamese and know of other groups of ultra lefts who
did too.

Reply:
SDS pretty much disappeared by 1969 so I have no idea what sort of
meetings you are referring to.

John:
My point is - the SWP WAS Sectarian and it started long before what is
now the Jack Barnes followers group.

Reply:
Agreed. But I still maintain that waving NLF flags in the USA during the
war in Vietnam was political masturbation.