[Marxism] Obama intends to stay in Iraq

Ron J rjacobs3625 at charter.net
Thu Dec 4 09:43:06 MST 2008

If one reads the SOFA check out Article 27, which is below (with my comments), they can see the method by which the US would/could keep troops in Iraq.

>  From Article 27: (this section allows a loophole that could allow the US to
saty as long as it is "requested" to do so by its client government in
Iraq.  The ambiguiy is intentional and means that if the Green Zone iraqi
government feels it is threatened, then it can ask the US to stay and/or send in
more troops.)

>  . To that end, the Parties agree as follows:
>  In the event of any external or internal threat or aggression against Iraq
that would violate its sovereignty, political independence, or territorial
integrity, waters, airspace, its democratic system or its elected institutions,
and upon request by the Government of Iraq, the Parties shall immediately
initiate strategic deliberations and, as may be mutually agreed, the United
States shall take appropriate measures, including diplomatic, economic, or
military measures, or any other measure, to deter such a threat.
>  The Parties agree to continue close cooperation in strengthening and
maintaining military and security institutions and democratic political
institutions in Iraq, including, as may be mutually agreed, cooperation in
training, equipping, and arming the Iraqi Security Forces, in order to combat
domestic and international terrorism and outlaw groups, upon request by the
Government of Iraq

>  and while less relevant, but potentially a way for the US to renege:
>  --from
>  1. This Agreement shall be effective for a period of three years, unless
terminated sooner
>  by either Party pursuant to paragraph 3 of this Article.
>  2. This Agreement shall be amended only with the official agreement of the
Parties in

=============
NY Times, December 4, 2008
News Analysis
Campaign Promises on Ending the War in Iraq Now Muted by Reality
By THOM SHANKER

WASHINGTON — On the campaign trail, Senator Barack Obama offered a
pledge that electrified and motivated his liberal base, vowing to “end
the war” in Iraq.

That status-of-forces agreement remains subject to change, by mutual
agreement, and Army planners acknowledge privately that they are
examining projections that could see the number of Americans hovering
between 30,000 and 50,000 — and some say as high as 70,000 — for a
substantial time even beyond 2011.

As American combat forces decline in numbers and more provinces are
turned over to Iraqi control, these military planners say, Iraqi
security forces will remain reliant on significant numbers of Americans
for training, supplies, logistics, intelligence and transportation for a
long time to come.