[Marxism] Seymour/Ayers - rewriting history?

Tom Cod tcod at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 5 22:30:38 MST 2008

Leaving aside to whom this view should be attributed, you are right, SDS didn't oppose that,
but the SWP did!  I know because I was there.  I remember being outside the Conrad Hilton
when the shit came down and then the rally the next day with Eugene McCarthy, Dick Gregory,
Peter Paul & Mary and Phil Ochs.

The SWP, out of sectarian timidity influenced by the presence of FBI informant Ed Heisler as one its local leaders,
backed out of and walked away from this protest and bad mouthed it later, except for a contingent of YSAers led by Carl Finamore,
on the basis that it was "ultraleft" and might provoke violence.  Well, actually it was a peaceful mass protest like the one in Selma in 1965,
so I guess Walter Cronkite was to the left of Peter Camejo on that one at that point, because as a presidential commission
appointed by LBJ concluded: it was a police riot..  Sad.