[Marxism] Obama’s Palestinian Friend: interview with Rashid Khalidi

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Sat Dec 6 11:57:04 MST 2008

clip --
What are your expectations of _Barack Obama_
(http://www.creative-i.info/?tag=barack-obama) ’s administration in the Middle East? Do  you believe he will
stick to his promise to put it at the top of his  agenda?
“I have no special insight. I do believe that the president-elect takes this
problem very seriously, and will give it his attention. Obsessed as we are
with  our own issues, however, we should not ignore the fact that he faces the
greatest American and global economic crisis since 1929, and must necessarily
give that priority.
“In any case, much will depend on who is chosen for the key positions
relating to the Middle East. If some of the unimaginative, close-minded and  biased
advocates of conventional thinking who bear a major share of the
responsibility for the mess we have been in for over 20 years - from the Reagan  and
George H.W. Bush administrations to that of Clinton, even before George W.  Bush
made things even worse - are appointed to important posts, my expectations  will
be low. I was involved in the negotiations as an advisor to the Palestinian
delegation from Madrid in 1991 until June 1993, before Oslo. Those American
officials who helped get the Palestinians and Israelis into the mess they are
in  via a deeply flawed negotiating process, and a cowardly refusal to confront
 occupation and settlement head-on when it would have been far easier to do
in  the 1980s and 1990s, do not deserve another chance to ruin the future of
the  peoples of this region.”
full --
_http://www.creative-i.info/?p=2625_ (http://www.creative-i.info/?p=2625)