[Marxism] Marxism lite

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 7 07:09:47 MST 2008

<http://geopolicraticus.wordpress.com/2008/12/06/marxism-lite/>Marxism Lite

Perhaps instead of speaking of "Marxism Lite" I should frame my views
in terms of "zombie Marxism", for it seems that the spectre of Marx,
hovering over Europe this past century, is to be disinterred from his
tomb at Highgate Cemetery, propped back on its feet, reanimated, and
made to walk stiffly to and fro so that all the world may gawk at
this stupor mundi. More than a month ago the BBC website ran the
story <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7679758.stm>"Marx popular
amid credit crunch" (20 October 2008) noting an uptick in sales of
Das Kapital. The publisher is quoted as saying, "There's a younger
generation of academics tackling hard questions and looking to Marx
for answers," and the eminent Marxist historian Eric Hobsbawm is also
quoted from a BBC Radio 4 interview: "Globalisation, which is
implicit in capitalism, not only destroys the heritage and tradition
but it is incredibly unstable, it operates through a series of
crises, and I think this has been recognised to be the end of this
particular era," (1)

I find myself thinking about Marx again not so much because of the
current financial panic, but rather because I am currently listening
to Marx's Das Kapital: A Biography, by Francis Wheen. In fact, I have
already listened through it once entirely, but as with most audio
books that I take in, I will listen to it at least two or three times
to make sure I get the full benefit of the text. A second "reading"
often makes plain that which escapes a first reading. The author is
apparently of the same mind as Hobsbawn as regards the value and
veracity of Marx's work. Indeed, I heard the author, Wheen,
interviewed on the radio recently, making the same conclusions
regarding Marx and the present financial crisis that where of the
substance (in so far as there was any) of the BBC story.

full: http://geopolicraticus.wordpress.com/2008/12/06/marxism-lite/