[Marxism] Angry laid-off workers occupy factory in Chicago

Joaquin Bustelo jbustelo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 09:45:52 MST 2008

Matthew Russo says, "Rather '30's like, even post-WW2 - pre 1980's like.  Of
course this is the good old red UEW."

>From a fuller AP report filed a few hours after the original:

Leah Fried, an organizer with the United Electrical Workers, said ....

"We're doing something we haven't since the 1930s, so we're trying to make
it work."

*  *  *

"We're going to stay here until we win justice," said Blanca Funes, 55, of
Chicago, after occupying the building for several hours. Speaking in
Spanish, Funes said she fears losing her home without the wages she feels
she's owed. A 13-year employee of Republic, she estimated her family can
make do for three months without her paycheck. Most of the factory's workers
are Hispanic.

*  *  *

"Good old red UEW"? Perhaps.

Latino immigrant proletarians that don't need to go back several generations
to find examples of union militancy? For sure.

Joaquin