[Marxism] Financial crisis not related to overaccumulation

Shacht at aol.com Shacht at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 18:31:28 MST 2008

Not having seen the film, I probably shouldn't comment. But since acting on
limited information with the corrrect theory seems to be genuine Trotskyist
tradition, I'll go ahead anyway. The question is, why make a film about Jesse
James anyway? Certainly he doesn't fit the definition of "social banditry" in
Hobsbaum's sense.

Maybe Jesse got horsewhipped because he wouldn't tattle to Union Army men
about Frank's whereabouts.

Maybe he was shot under a white flag of truce once when attempting to
surreder.

Does it still make him any more than a criminal? Social bandits have a
social instinct. What did Jesse James have?

He bragged about being in the Lawrence, Kansas raid as one of Quantrill's
raiders, but may not have been. But what are we to think of a man who would even
 brag about being with Quantrill in his raid on Lawrence, a town seen as an
abolitionist stronghold? With killing 180 people in that raid? With burning
down  a town of 3,000?

There is no doubt he was in the Centralia raid, where dozens of  wounded
Union soldiers off a train and killing them.

Sure, the James family was "good" to its slaves and some of them may well
have stayed on after the war at the farm.

What does any of that change?

Where does all this robbing the rich and giving to the poor come from? The
first portrayl of James in film was during the silent era - gentleman Jesse,
good Jesse - well before the Popular Front front version. Popular culture from
Holleywood doesn't have to have a social psychological need to fill to get
produced. Junk will do.

Plenty of southern racists have been apotheosized in myth:Doc Holiday, John
Wesley Harding and Jesse James.