[Marxism] The Best and the Brightest Led America Off a Cliff

Barry Brooks durable at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 8 18:29:55 MST 2008

Yes, the nation’s elite universities disdain
honest intellectual inquiry. The nation's
non-elite disdain anything that doesn't feel
good.

Barry

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2008/12/09/a-beardful-of-bunkum/

By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian
9th December 2008

We all create our own reality, and shut out
the voices we do not want to hear. But there
is no issue we are less willing to entertain
than manmade climate change. Here, three
worlds seem to exist in virtual isolation. In
the physical world, global warming appears to
be spilling over into runaway feedback: the
most dangerous situation humankind has ever
encountered. In the political world – at the
climate talks in Poznan for example – our
governments seem to be responding to
something quite different: a minor nuisance
which can be addressed in due course. Only
the Plane Stupid protesters who occupied part
of Stansted airport yesterday appear to have
understood the scale and speed of this
crisis. In cyberspace, by contrast, the
response spreading fastest and furthest is
flat-out denial.

The most popular article on the Guardian’s
website last week was the report showing that
2008 is likely to be the coolest year since
2000(1). As the Met Office predicted, global
temperatures have been held down by the La
Nina event in the Pacific Ocean. This news
prompted a race on the Guardian’s comment
thread to reach the outer limits of idiocy.
Of the 440 responses posted by lunchtime
yesterday, about 80% insisted that manmade
climate change is a hoax. Here are some clips
from this conversation:

“This is a scam to get your money. …The only
people buying into “global warming” have no
experience with any of the sciences”.

“If we spend ANY money or cost one person
their job because of this fraud it would be a
crime. When will one of our politicians stand
up and call this for what it is, BULLSH1T!”

“What a set of jokers these professors are …
I think I understand more about climate
change than them and I don’t get paid a big
fat salary with all the perks to go with it.”

And so on, and on and on