[Marxism] the claimed irrelevance of presidential appointments

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Dec 9 08:50:59 MST 2008

On Dec 9, 2008, at 12:00 AM, Mark Lause wrote:

> ...A number of us have objected to the idea that denunciations of
> Obama should be the cornerstone of our work...some kind of litmus
> test for who was and was not on the right side of the class line.
> As I've suggested repeatedly, the question is analysis and emphasis...
> Case in point here...I very much agree with the main points Dennis
> is making...  Who gets presidential appointments is really important
> and merit analysis.  This does not mean that we favor this or that
> alternate candidate for the job...

Nevertheless, one thing about President-elect Obama's appointments to
date is most striking:  With four Nobelists at his disposal who were
outspoken and completely right on the causes of the shitstorm he got
himself into by being elected--the 1990's deregulation orgy (Stiglitz,
Krugman) and the Iraq adventure (Carter, Gore)--he has established a
senior team all of whom (Mrs. Clinton, Summers, Gaithner, Gates,
Jones) were decisively wrong and bear heavy responsibility for those
economic and military disasters.  Leaving little room for any
fulfillment of Candidate Oblabla's  promised "Change."

Shane Mage