[Marxism] note from Cindy Sheehan

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 10 13:42:04 MST 2008

Cindy Sheehan: "The tiny Peace Movement that we do have in the US has always said that the US invasions and occupations of BOTH Iraq and Afghanistan are illegal and immoral and our troops should be brought home immediately and the US Empire should be reduced to a size that can be drowned in a bath tub. The "anti-war" movement was always very careful to make a distinction between Iraq (bad) and Afghanistan (justified) which to me was always a failure and bad reasoning that would eventually harm the integrity of the movement."

Being from San Francisco, Cindy should know better than to equate UfPJ with "the 'anti-war' movement." She knows very well that what she describes as the views of the "Peace Movement" are the views of the ANSWER Coalition (and others, of course), the same ANSWER Coalition which has been the primary organizer of antiwar demonstrations in San Francisco and a primary organizer of antiwar demonstrations nationally. For someone so outspoken, she seems remarkably timid about naming names in this piece of hers.

And, while it's perhaps mere semantics, I'd argue (and have argued on my blog) that her view of "peace" vs. "anti-war" is precisely backwards, as admirably illustrated by George Bush, the Israeli government, and imperialists everywhere, who always insist their invasions and occupations are motivated by a desire for "peace." "Peace" is the refuge of scoundrels, like calling for "negotiations" between Israel and the Palestinian people. War and occupation are the concrete reality, and if you oppose them, you have to oppose them, not issue abstract and meaningless calls for "peace."

Eli Stephens
 Left I on the News
 http://lefti.blogspot.com