[Marxism] Obama Campaign Network vis-a-vis the Democratic Party

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 01:50:20 MST 2008

Sukla Sen <suklasenp at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Obama himself cannot be too unaware of the severe loss
> of his bargaining power within the DP and the larger
> "system" if it so happens. But too scared of
> antagonising the entrenched bosses, even if he caves
> in, all efforts must be made to maintain an autonomous
> life for this network on the basis of issues. That's,
> however, much easier said than done.

The flaw here is assuming that this network ever was autonomous.  The
sentiment that elected Obama and responded to his rhetoric is one
thing, but the "network" seems to me to have no existence and no
purpose for existence other than the election.  Even these house
parties are top-down initiatives.

Mind you, I have no idea what they're thinking of doing with it in the
interim, other than trying to hold things together for the off-year
elections, but I've seen no sign of independent life there.  On the
bright side, that's why something genuinely focused on issues rather
than winning elections has some prospects.

ML