[Marxism] Total defeat for U.S. in Iraq?

Ron J rjacobs3625 at charter.net
Thu Dec 11 10:54:14 MST 2008

If one looks at the SOFA, there is a loophole that P. Cockburn and others have ignored.  I quote it below with a few comments-
ron jacobs

If you read

>  From Article 27: (this section allows a loophole that could allow the US to
saty as long as it is "requested" to do so by its client government in
Iraq.  The ambiguiy is intentional and means that if the Green Zone iraqi
government feels it is threatened, then it can ask the US to stay and/or send in
more troops.

>  . To that end, the Parties agree as follows:
>  In the event of any external or internal threat or aggression against Iraq
that would violate its sovereignty, political independence, or territorial
integrity, waters, airspace, its democratic system or its elected institutions,
and upon request by the Government of Iraq, the Parties shall immediately
initiate strategic deliberations and, as may be mutually agreed, the United
States shall take appropriate measures, including diplomatic, economic, or
military measures, or any other measure, to deter such a threat.
>  The Parties agree to continue close cooperation in strengthening and
maintaining military and security institutions and democratic political
institutions in Iraq, including, as may be mutually agreed, cooperation in
training, equipping, and arming the Iraqi Security Forces, in order to combat
domestic and international terrorism and outlaw groups, upon request by the
Government of Iraq

>  and while less relevant, but potentially a way for the US to renege:
>  --from
>  1. This Agreement shall be effective for a period of three years, unless
terminated sooner
>  by either Party pursuant to paragraph 3 of this Article.
>  2. This Agreement shall be amended only with the official agreement of the
Parties in
>  writing and in accordance with the constitutional procedures in effect in
both countries.
>  3. This Agreement shall terminate one year after a Party provides written
notification to
>  the other Party to that effect.

---- Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

=============
(I hope that Patrick Cockburn is right, but somehow I have trouble
imagining the U.S. pulling out lock, stock and barrel. This would leave
a Shiite bloc consisting of Iraq and Iran with control over a huge
portion of the world's oil resources. Of course, a more astute foreign
policy would have always recognized that any Iraqi government would have
been willing to do business with the West in the same manner as Saudi
Arabia or any other Mideast country considered "friendly")

http://www.counterpunch.org/patrick12112008.html
Counterpunch, December 11, 2008
It's All Spelled Out in Unpublicized Agreement
Total Defeat for U.S. in Iraq