[Marxism] Total defeat for U.S. in Iraq?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Dec 11 11:06:16 MST 2008

On Dec 11, 2008, at 11:47 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> (I hope that Patrick Cockburn is right, but somehow I have trouble
> imagining the U.S. pulling out lock, stock and barrel. This would
> leave
> a Shiite bloc consisting of Iraq and Iran with control over a huge
> portion of the world's oil resources. Of course, a more astute foreign
> policy would have always recognized that any Iraqi government would
> have
> been willing to do business with the West in the same manner as Saudi
> Arabia or any other Mideast country considered "friendly")

To talk of "total defeat" or "pulling out" is just silly.  For many,
many reasons  Obama has (and wants) no other option but to negotiate a
US-Iranian condominium in Iraq on the least unfavorable terms he can
manage.  The main things he can get in return are a big role for the
US nuclear industry in Iran's (stupid) nuclear program and Iranian
assistance in "stabilizing" (dominating) the Persian-Gulf sheikhdoms
and kingdoms.  But "total defeat" may not be that inaccurate a
description of the effect on...the Zionists!

Shane Mage