[Marxism] Of victory and victories

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 11 14:39:47 MST 2008

First, as Lou said, everyone comes back.  Like to think of it as Stoppard
bending time rather than Beckett bending absurdities

Secondly, as to the reason I left-- if I hadn't I would have said things to
Mr. Flanders on list that should only be said in private.

Thirdly,  I'm sure I can't be the only one on list who doesn't find the
conclusion of the occupation in Chicago  an unqualified victory.

Reason 1:  The factory is closing.  The factory owners will have to comply
with the state law regarding factory closings, but the factory is closing.

Reason 2:  Apparently the work will be shifted to Iowa, to a non-unionized
factory, for however long that lasts.

Reason 3:  from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics:

UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE WEEKLY CLAIMS REPORT
          SEASONALLY ADJUSTED DATA

In the week ending Dec. 6, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted
initial claims was 573,000, an increase of 58,000 from the previous week's
revised figure of 515,000. The 4-week moving average was 540,500, an
increase of 14,250 from the previous week's revised average of 526,250.
The advance seasonally adjusted insured unemployment rate was 3.3 percent
for the week ending Nov. 29, an increase of 0.2 percentage point from the
prior week's unrevised rate of 3.1 percent.
The advance number for seasonally adjusted insured unemployment during the
week ending Nov. 29 was 4,429,000, an increase of 338,000 from the preceding
week's revised level of 4,091,000. The 4-week moving average was 4,133,500,
an increase of 130,750 from the preceding week's revised average of
4,002,750.
___________________

 The "victory"  was/is entirely in the action of occupation not in the
results.  Channelling Sammy Davis Jr.'s autobiography by chanting "yes we
can" is an index to the uneven and combined development of class
consciousness, not an index to the great social ferment given voice by
Obama's election.

I think we have had quite enough of the thoughtful, dispassionate inquiry
into "figuring out what the election of Obama means."  Go to Union Square in
NYC any day and you can see what it means-- with vendors still hawking Obama
tee-shirts,  Obama buttons, Obama jewelry, Obama neckties.  That's what the
election means-- and was all about-- a new market.  Nobody buys anything
with McCain's picture on it, nobody makes anything with his face on it.
Nobody would even if he won.   The bourgeoisie need a "new face" to tap into
some new markets.

It don't mean a thing, because it ain't got that swing.