[Marxism] Nationalism threatens Brazil's regional interests

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 13 15:23:41 MST 2008

The Sao Paulo oligarchy of Brazil as opposed to exactly what?  The Fair Deal
bourgeoisie of Brazil?

We've argued this before: describing the current bourgeoisie of Brazil as
either/or, a Sao Paulo oligarchy and the bandeirante is ahistorical and
fundamentally mistaken-- mistaken in that it takes no account of the actual
evolution of Sao Paulo as the most "advanced" capitalists in Brazil; it
takes no account of the real power swapping that went on in Brazil between
the Paulistas and the Rio Grande do Sul and Minas Gerais before Vargas; and
it takes no account of the fundamental changes in Brazil since the period of
the Vargas, which, by the way ended in 1954, not 1964 with his suicide.

Vargas indeed was opposed by the Sao Paulo elite which endorsed a "liberal"
capitalist ideology as opposed to Vargas' corporate capitalist ideology.
Vargas' also faced opposition from those same "poorest regions," the
Northeast of Brazil that Nestor thinks only the Paulistas exploited.  In the
Northeast it was the landlords in control of the federal government that
blocked Vargas' lieutenants attempts at corporate social justice.  Those
landowners in the Northeast formed a true oligarchy.  The Paulistas did not.

The Vargas government was intent upon centralizing authority and social,
economic power in Brazil in order to promote industrialization without
triggering labor upheavals.  Toward that end, Vargas' Estado Novo was an
alliance of the military, the government bureaucracy, and that very
self-same Paulista industrial bourgeoisie, after their defeat by Vargas in
the "revolution" of 1933-- that self-same Paulista bourgeoisie that Nester
thinks of as the anti-Vargas.

I could go on with this, but I'm sure Nestor is much too busy to respond to
any of this, so I suggest that list members check into the real history of
Brazil themselves. Robert M. Levine's The Vargas Regime: The Critical Years,
1934-1938, has good info, as do the Cambridge University Press series on the
history of  Latin America and Brazil.