[Marxism] LA TIMES bash-o-rama: 'Milk' star Sean Penn: Pal of anti-gay dictators?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Dec 14 09:24:41 MST 2008

On Dec 14, 2008, at 9:32 AM, Walter Lippmann wrote:

> ...the United States government, works actively to encourage
> the fabrication through financing and political direction of groups
> opposed to the Cuban government and the social system which Cuba's
> government defends...

When I was growing up the forerunners of "McCarthyism" (now-forgotten
figures like Westbrook Pegler, Martin Dies, Walter Winchell...) were
screaming endlessly that "Leftist Subversion" was being financed by
Moscow Gold and politically directed by the Kremlin and that therefore
leftist political groups were "conspiracies" that were to be
suppressed in defense of "democracy."  Their position was no less
justified in relation to USA-1940 than Walter's is in relation to
Cuba-2008.

Shane Mage