[Marxism] LA TIMES bash-o-rama: 'Milk' star Sean Penn: Pal of anti-gay dictators?

David Thorstad binesi at gvtel.com
Sun Dec 14 10:11:40 MST 2008

Walter Lippmann wrote:

> As usual, David Thorstad leaps to condemn the Cuban government while
> refusing to acknowledge that Cuba is a blockaded country whose main
> opponent, the United States government, works actively to encourage
> the fabrication through financing and political direction of groups
> opposed to the Cuban government and the social system which Cuba's
> government defends. Washington budgets tens of millions of dollars
> for this purpose, as anyone who is interested in the facts can see
> for themselves at the US government website devoted to the project:
> http://www.cafc.gov That is the principal reason why some forms of
> "independent self-organization are not permitted.

I "refuse to acknowledge that Cuba is a blockaded country"?! The point
here is that Walter appears to assume that an independent gay
organization in Cuba would ipso facto be hostile to the regime and to
communism. What is such a fear based upon? The Cuban regime is so
insecure that it fears allowing gay citizens to form their own
organization? Gusanos are welcome to travel to Cuba and spend their
money there, but if some gay gusanos were to donate to an independent
gay group, that would threaten the regime? What about foreign gay
leftists giving financial or political support to such an independent
group? Would this be so dangerous and automatically anticommunist? This
kind of mentality and "defense of the Cuban Revolution" strikes me as
deplorable.

> Lack of paper is not the reason "independent self-organization is not
> tolerated by the Cuban one-party state." No such claim has ever been
> made by me. Thorstad invented that allegation.

Walter, I did not "invent" this. In an exchange between us a year or so
ago, you pointed to a shortage of paper as one reason there was no gay
publication in Cuba. True, you  never said it was /the/ reason there's
no independent organization.

> The propaganda war against Cuba continues relentlessly, paying
> no mind at all to the actual facts about the legal status and
> living conditions of sexual minorities in Cuba. David Thorstad
> has carved out a minor supporting role for himself in this war.

This is slanderous and idiotic. But it says plenty about the kind of
totalitarian mentality that masquerades as rational exchange among some
leftists. Reminds me, depressingly, of internal SWP "discussions."
David