[Marxism] Iraqi journalist throws shoes at Bush

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Dec 14 16:57:07 MST 2008

On Dec 14, 2008, at 6:35 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjdXwLQrRJ8

As I learned in Morocco 50 years ago, in an Islamic culture to put
one's shoe in one's hand is a severely threatening gesture and to
throw it is a gesture expressing unmitigated contempt. If there is a
Western term for this sort of thing, it is to be found in the *codex
duello*.  It is the equivalent of slapping one's enemy across the face
with one's glove.

Shane Mage