[Marxism] Forwarded from Marty Goodman: MTA Protest Tuesday NYC

Jon Flanders jonathan.flanders at verizon.net
Mon Dec 15 13:48:18 MST 2008

Marty Goodman 12/15/08   Please try to make the MTA protest tomorrow
against the"doomsday budget."   Transit workers will join students and
teachers at an earlier 4pm rally against tuition hikes at the Governor's
at 41st and 3rd Avenue. At 5pm transit workers, students and teachers
will march to the MTA a few blocks away to join the ongoing protest at
the MTA headquarters. Join us for one our both protests!
       PRESS RELEASE!                             PRESS RELEASE!
                             PRESS RELEASE!

                             DEMONSTRATION

                       TRANSIT WORKERS, STUDENTS

                          AND TEACHERS PROTEST

                          MTA DOOMSDAY BUDGET

              WHERE: MTA, 347 MADISON AVENUE (44th Street)

                 WHEN: 5 PM, TUESDAY, DECEMBER 16, 2008

            TRANSPORTATION: TAKE ANY TRAIN TO GRAND CENTRAL

   SPONSOR: TAKE BACK OUR UNION, AN INDEPENDENT TRANSIT WORKER CAUCUS

                                CONTACT:

 Marvin Holland 347-804-6982, TWU Local 100 member, Take Back Our Union

           Marty Goodman 646-898-7328, TWU Local 100 activist

            James Hoff 646-733-8922, CUNY Contingents Unite

                           December 15, 2008

On Wednesday, December 17th, at 9:30 AM, the MTA Board will vote on its’
“doomsday budget.” The budget includes a 23% fare hike, laying off
hundreds of transit workers, massive service reductions and job cuts.
MTA CEO Eliot Sander calls the budget “draconian.”

For transit workers, even proposing layoffs is completely unacceptable.
If the budget is passed and additional funding is not found, the
doomsday budget will be ready to be implemented.

We do not take these threats lightly and must protest. An independent
transit worker group, Take Back Our Union, is sponsoring a protest 5pm,
Tuesday, December 16 at the MTA headquarters. We are protesting the
afternoon before the budget vote to provide a more convenient time for
working people to express their outrage.

The MTA protest will be joined by CUNY students and teachers, who will
be protesting $600 tuition hikes and education cuts at the nearby
Governor’s office at 41st and Third Avenue, beginning at 4 PM. A number
of CUNY students and teachers will march with transit workers to
join the ongoing protest at the nearby MTA after 5pm.

Students, teachers and transit workers have come to a single conclusion:
We will not sacrifice when Wall Street is receiving more than $1
trillion. The prospect of united action against these attacks is
exciting. Please join us.