[Marxism] Obama defines himself

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Dec 17 11:49:32 MST 2008

Energy: a nuclear whore.  Agriculture: an ethanol huckster.  Interior:
an "energy independence" driller.

With every appointment Obama completes the picture sketched in by the
Oblabla campaign--a complete opportunist in thrall to big capital.
There is absolutely no reason to think that McCain would have been any
worse.  The "Left"--that preponderant part of it which defaced itself
with scoffing and slander against Ralph Nader in order to eat the
donkey shit falling from the Dumbocratic parade--can pride itself on
one more, brand new, rack of horns.

(NYTIMES, 17/12)

"As Mr. Obama introduced Mr. Salazar andTom Vilsack, the former Iowa
governor tapped to be secretary of agriculture, at a press conference
Wednesday in Chicago, he said their responsibility would be to balance
the protection of farms and public lands against the need to find new
sources of energy.

“It’s time for a new kind of leadership in Washington that’s committed
to using our lands in a responsible way to benefit all our families,”
Mr. Obama said. “That means ensuring that even as we are promoting
development where it makes sense, we are also fulfilling our
obligation to protect our national treasures.”

Mr. Salazar, wearing his customary ten-gallon hat and string tie, said
that his job entails helping the nation address climate changethrough
a “moon shot” on energy independence. But that would include not just
the development of “green” energy sources like wind power, but also
the continued domestic development of coal, oil and natural gas,
fossil fuels that generate greenhouse gases when they are burned.

Environmental advocates offered mixed reviews of Mr. Salazar, 53, a
first-term Democratic senator who served as head of Colorado’s natural
resources department and as the state’s attorney general. Mr. Salazar
was not the first choice of environmentalists, who openly pushed the
appointment of Representative Raul Grijalva, Democrat of Arizona, who
has a strong record as a conservationist.

Oil and mining interests praised Mr. Salazar’s performance as a state
official and as a senator, saying that he was not doctrinaire about
the use of public lands. “Nothing in his record suggests he’s an
ideologue,” said Luke Popovich, spokesman for the National Mining
Association. “Here’s a man who understands the issues, is open-minded
and can see at least two sides of an issue.”

Mr. Popovich noted approvingly that Mr. Salazar had tried to engineer
a deal in the Senate allowing mining companies and others to reclaim
abandoned mines without fear of lawsuits. (The legislation is
pending.) He has also supported robust research on technology to
reduce carbon dioxide emissions from coal-burning power plants,
something the coal industry favors.

He also backed a compromise that would let oil companies drill for
natural gas in limited parts of the Roan Plateau in northwestern
Colorado, a plan that most environmental advocates opposed...

...Marc Smith, executive director of the Independent Petroleum
Association of Mountain States, said in a statement that Mr. Salazar
understood that energy security can be achieved only by making use of
all domestic energy sources, including those found on and under public
lands..."

Shane Mage