[Marxism] Žižek controversy

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Dec 18 07:24:58 MST 2008

http://chronicle.com/weekly/v55/i17/17b00401.htm

 From the issue dated December 19, 2008
CRITICAL MASS
Dissecting Žižek

Compiled by EVAN R. GOLDSTEIN

Slavoj Žižek, the ubiquitous Slovenian cultural theorist, has always
been a mercurial presence on the intellectual scene. Equally at home
discussing the works of Lenin or Lacan, as well as David Lynch, Žižek
has a well-earned reputation for humorously traversing the high-low
cultural divide. He has been the subject of two films, written or edited
more than 40 books, and is adored by many on the Marxist left. As Terry
Eagleton, a professor of English literature at England's Lancaster
University, recently put it: "Slavoj Žižek is less a philosopher than a
phenomenon. ... A cross between guru and gadfly, sage and showman."

The New Republic, apparently, does not find Žižek's act funny. The cover
of its December 3 issue pronounces Žižek "The Most Despicable
Philosopher in the West." The inside essay is equally scathing. In what
is ostensibly a review of two recent books by Žižek — Violence: Six
Sideways Reflections (Picador, 2008) and In Defense of Lost Causes
(Verso, 2008) — Adam Kirsch, a senior editor at the magazine, accuses
Žižek of, among other things, being a fascist and flirting with
anti-Semitism.

In Defense of Lost Causes rejects the idea that we are in a
post-ideological age, and it praises those who remain committed to
revolutionary struggle. In Violence, Žižek suggests that our fixation
with spectacular acts of indiscriminate carnage, like the attacks of
September 11, 2001, blinds us to the systemic violence that is inherent
in capitalism and liberal-democratic politics. Kirsch finds in Žižek's
analysis a glorification of violence that carries disturbing echoes of
Maoist, Stalinist, and Leninist terror. "The curious thing about the
Žižek phenomenon is that the louder he applauds violence and terror ...
the more indulgently he is received by the academic left, which has
elevated him into a celebrity and the center of a cult."

Kirsch's J'accuse has ignited considerable debate among bloggers about
the nature of Žižek's intellectual project.

Adam Kirsch, senior editor, The New Republic: There is a name for the
politics that glorifies risk, decision, and will; that yearns for the
hero, the master, and the leader; that prefers death and the infinite to
democracy and the pragmatic; that finds the only true freedom in the
terror of violence. Its name is not communism. Its name is fascism, and
in his most recent work Žižek has inarguably revealed himself as some
sort of fascist. ...

Under the cover of comedy and hyperbole, in between allusions to movies
and video games, he is engaged in the rehabilitation of many of the most
evil ideas of the last century. He is trying to undo the achievement of
all the postwar thinkers who taught us to regard totalitarianism,
revolutionary terror, utopian violence, and anti-Semitism as
inadmissible in serious political discourse. Is Žižek's audience too
busy laughing at him to hear him? I hope so, because the idea that they
can hear him without recoiling from him is too dismal, and frightening,
to contemplate. (The New Republic)

Jodi Dean, professor of political science, Hobart and William Smith
Colleges: I don't think the best way to read Žižek is as an ironist. ...
I think it's important to read him as literally as possible, recognizing
the breadth of his examples and illustrations. Another way to put it:
When Žižek uses an obscene illustration, he means the obscenity as an
obscenity. Part of the challenge of current conditions is the difficulty
in finding something really obscene and having it be recognized as such. ...

Žižek is speaking within a set of discursive contexts marked by the
decline and defeat of a certain Marxist experiment. Most of his readers
don't need to be persuaded that there's a problem with liberalism or
with capitalism. (I cite)

Alex Engebretson, doctoral candidate in English, City University of New
York Graduate Center: Can Kirsch simply subtract the irony, parody, and
subversive fun of Žižek's rhetoric in order to isolate his ideas? Are
not the ideas bound up, framed by, and participating in the rhetoric?
Can we ever "really" get at the ideas free of rhetoric? If not, then
Kirsch's arguments, while morally earnest, omit a crucial aspect of
Žižek's project: the rhetorical. To take Žižek seriously just once,
then, is to distort Žižek's ideas, which is something like not reading
Žižek at all. Perhaps the better line of inquiry is not should we take
Žižek seriously, but rather why do we venerate a thinker whose rhetoric
resists the possibility of being taken seriously? (Po Lit)

Sinthome, blogger, professor, and psychoanalyst: This talk of revolution
does serve a rhetorically important function within debates over
political theory. In other words, in the absence of the belief that
society can be fundamentally transformed and that we should commit
ourselves to the project of transforming society — i.e., a desire for
the real or impossible — we descend into a pacifying neo-pragmatism not
unlike that of [Simon] Critchley or Rorty, where we become apologists
for liberal democracy and all of its attendant problems. Under this
neo-pragmatic liberal democratism, any form of engagement envisioning an
alternative form of society is excluded a priori as necessarily doomed
to produce disaster and simultaneously as impossible. There is thus a
closure of political possibility and the best we can hope for is a
pacifying "communicative action" that dare not work for something else.
(Larval Subjects)

John Farrell, author: What's unfortunate about Žižek is, if he wasn't so
caught up with performing cartwheels for the intelligentsia, some of his
points about the importance of the religions of the West would be better
taken. You can't help feeling he adopts the role of poseur precisely
because he senses how little patience there is on the left for anything
substantive about religion. (Farrellmedia)

Mark Scroggins, associate professor of English, Florida Atlantic
University: An astonishing farrago of out-of-context quotations,
superficial misreadings, and ad hominem attacks. Kirsch makes David
Lehman on Paul de Man seem subtle. (Culture Industry)

John Holbo, assistant professor of philosophy, National University of
Singapore: Žižek doesn't seem to actually provide us with — or be
interested in providing us with — any conceptual resources for thinking
about what the method or goal of a revolution would be. Usually it's
just gulag jokes (or the equivalent), wrapped in Hegel and Lacan. And
then of course he gets accused of wanting to start gulags. And then it
gets pointed out that they were just jokes. And then, at the end of the
day, our plan for revolution would appear to be just some gulag jokes
which we are now assured are JUST jokes, not actual plans. Plus some
funny high-low Hegel-pop culture riffs. Plus Lacan. I think starting a
revolution on the strength of gulag jokes is less bad than starting a
revolution so you can build gulags. But it still isn't such a hot idea.
(Comment on The Valve)

Daniel Miller, writer: The cloistered profile of his readership makes
Žižek basically immune to magazine attacks: The cultural journalist is
the old and implacable enemy of the academic; thus any critiques from
that quarter are invariably dismissed by academics as ignorant and
small-minded. ...

I continue to wonder whether the content of his political and
ideological positions is the salient issue with Žižek, or indeed, an
issue at all. Arguably much more central to his current singular status
in the radical academy lies in the way in which he enables his followers
to continue to believe in a particular model of politics, and a
particular image of themselves. ...

Žižek can be seen, like (a certain) Nietzsche, as offering an
exquisitely tailored discourse, catering perfectly to the psychic needs
of his readers. He supplies a narrative structure through which all of
the various personal, sexual, and psychological issues and conflicts one
might have can be read as the sigils of a much larger struggle.