[Marxism] Homophobic bible thumper to perform Obama's invocation

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sat Dec 20 00:55:02 MST 2008

Rachel Maddow is a liberal, lesbian telejournalist who began on Air America
and is now carried on MSNBC Monday-Friday at 6pm and 9pm. I think that this
is a quite good overview of the response to the outrageous -- from the
democratic rights standpoint -- of the choice of Rev. Rick Warren to give
the invocation at the inauguration.

Along with her own criticism and that of others, she includes responses to
the controversy by Obama himself (who insists he is a "fierce" defender of
gay rights -- news to me, but I am glad he felt it necessary to say so) and
SF Mayor Gary Newsom. The latter criticizes the choice but argues that
Warren represents a current in white, basically right Evangelicalism that
takes liberal-to-populist views on some questions and therefore has moved
somewhat closer to the Democratic Party.

Warren is under attack from the Republican religious right for accepting the
role.

Among other things, Maddow notes that Warren has called for the
assassination of Iran President Ahmadinejad. I will be interested to see if
his invocation instructs God to bring about this consummation devoutly to be
wished. (Probably not.)
Fred Feldman

Rick Warren Is Not Change We Can Believe In
By The Rachel Maddow Show

December 19, 2008
http://www.thenation.com/directory/bios/the_rachel_maddow_show