[Marxism] Rescue of auto bosses pushes workers further under water

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Dec 20 13:09:01 MST 2008

On Dec 20, 2008, at 11:59 AM, Shane Mage wrote:
The original post somehow garbled my key paragraph, so I repost:

> On Dec 20, 2008, at 3:21 AM, Fred Feldman wrote:
>> UAW's Sacrifices Look to Some Like Surrender
>> By Peter Whoriskey
>> Washington Post Staff Writer
>>
>> ...The $17.4 billion federal loan agreement does keep the domestic
>> auto
>> industry alive. But the terms of that loan also insist that the
>> wages and
>> benefits for union workers be lowered to "equal" the average of
>> nonunion
>> workers...
>>
>> ....At a news conference in Chicago yesterday, President-elect
>> Barack Obama said
>> that workers should not be the ones "taking all the hits" and that
>> all
>> stakeholders "are going to have to play a part in this process."...
>
> So! Obama tells the workers that they must take "hits!"  In admitting
> his intention to "hit" workers Obama is at least being honest--unlike
> his lie that by glorifying Warren he is not hitting Gays and Women!
>>
>> Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.), chairman of the committee overseeing
>> much of
>> the government financial rescue efforts, was far tougher.
>>
>> "The president has added an unfair assault on working men and women,
>> which
>> could require them to accept a disproportionately large reduction in
>> what is
>> currently legally owed to them," he said in a statement. "I am
>> particularly
>> opposed to the notion . . . that could give foreign auto companies
>> in effect
>> the ability to dictate wages for all American auto workers."
>>
>> Frank said that because those requirements were "unilaterally
>> inserted" by
>> Bush, the Obama administration "should take whatever steps are
>> necessary to
>> remove them."
>

> Frank, a liberal, was by far the best qualified Obama supporter to be
> Treasury Secretary.  And what does Obama think of Frank?  One-word
> answer:  WARREN.
>
> The UAW Left must place no hopes on Frank's ability to influence Obama
to hit the workers only "proportionately."  They have a two-month
space (Bush's deadline is Feb.17) to:
--organize an all-out fight against any more "concessions;"
--organize the mobilization of the autoworkers to occupy all Big-
Three     factories the instant any of the Big Three is forced to
declare bankruptcy;
--organize a national political campaign for nationalization of the Big