[Marxism] Cal AG Brown asks court to overturn Proposition 8

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Dec 20 21:27:05 MST 2008

On Dec 20, 2008, at 8:16 PM, Bill O'Connor wrote:
>> ....But I still don't understand why no
>> Californian with an out-of-state gay marriage has yet sued on the
>> basis of the "full faith and credit" clause of the US Constitution.
>
> I thought DOMA removed marriage from the "full faith and credit"
> umbrella specifically for this reason.

Congress has no power to amend the constitution, so the DOMA is in
this regard facially unconstitutional.

and Shacht at aol.com wrote:
> This answers Shane Mage's question about why no one has challenged
> Proposition 8 under the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the US
> Constitution. The  Supreme Court's use of precedent is to decide a
> case on the narrowest grounds  practicable.

But in fact the plain language of the Constitution is exactly the
narrowest grounds possible.  But AG Brown doesn't have standing to
bring the case on those grounds, I think.  Standing would not be a
problem for a California resident gay-married in Massachusetts.

>  ...Edwards v. California -  the right to travel interstate (Edwards
> was charged with bringing his brother or  brother in law into
> California when he was a vagrant during the thirties...
Has nothing at all to do with the Full Faith and Credit clause.

Shane Mage