[Marxism] Capitalism Short Circuits Our Moral Hard-Wiring

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Sat Dec 20 22:40:22 MST 2008

By Gary  Olson

December 20, 2008  "_Commondreams_
(http://www.commondreams.org/view/2008/12/18-11) " December 18, 2008 -- In a recent New  Yorker piece, Naomi Klein
astutely observes that "The crash on Wall Street  should be for Friedmanism what
the fall of the Berlin Wall was for  authoritarian Communism, an indictment of
an ideology." One hopes so. The  financial system's collapse in 2008 offers a
rare opportunity to question  certain underlying assumptions about our state
capitalist economy and its  neoliberal ideology.
For the last few years I've been writing  about neuroscience research which
shows that the human brain is hard-wired  for empathy, the ability to put
oneself in another's shoes. This is the  discovery of the mirror neuron system or
MNS, a finding some  scientists believe rivals what the discovery of DNA meant
for biology. The  technical details showing how morality is rooted in biology,
hardwired  into our neural circuits via evolution rather than handed down
from on  high, lie beyond this article. But our understanding is increasing at an
 exponential rate and it's compelling. Earlier this year, UCLA
neuroscientist Marco Iacoboni's superb book, Mirroring People (NY: Farrar,  Strauss and
Giroux, 2008, paper) made this important research accessible  to the lay public.
However, this is not to underestimate the  barriers to the public's
appreciation of these findings. At the apex of  misunderstanding is the cynical, even
despairing doubt about the existence  of a moral instinct for empathy. From
doctrines of original sin and Ayn  Rand to Alan Greenspan and David Brooks,
certain intrepretations of human  nature have functioned to override empathic
indoctrinate  empathy out of people in order to arrive at extreme capitalist
positions."
We know that cultures are set up to reward  some people and disadvantage
others. Capitalists maintain domination, in  part, through subtly but actively
creating society's prevailing cultural  norms. Antonio Gramsci's writing reminds
us that this control is achieved  through the mass media, education, religion
and popular culture as  subordinate classes assimilate certain ideas as
"common sense." It isn't  that individual deviations don't occur within the
interstices of society  but generally they don't threaten elite control.
If we assume that the human brain or more  specifically, the aforementioned
mirror neuron system, is the implicit  target of elite propaganda, then the
current economic meltdown provides an  almost unprecedented opportunity for us.
Perhaps not since the 1930s have our  citizens been more skeptical of
received wisdom about our socioeconomic  system. That is, the carefully manufactured
narrative of market capitalist  identity and its assumptions about human
nature are now thrown into sharp  relief.
Not only has economic reality made a  shambles of the canonical model of Homo
economicus but robust  empirical evidence offers promising alternative
regarded  cross-cultural studies reveal that the self-interested behavior
predicted  by the selfishness axiom simply fail to materialize and cooperation is the
norm.
Of course there are also predatory and  cruel urges within our nature,
complete with their own neural correlates  and evolutionary origins. But now we know
that organizing an alternative  to our vicious system of "natural"
hyper-individualism will enhance the  opportunity for the empathic aspect of our nature
to flourish. Social  historian Margaret Jacobs captures my optimism with her
insight that "No  institution is safe if people simply stop believing in the
assumptions  that justify its existence." Therein lies both our challenge and
responsibility.
Gary Olson, Ph.D., is  chair of the Political Science Department at Moravian
College in  Bethlehem, PA. Contact: _olson at moravian.edu_
(mailto:olson at moravian.edu)

_http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article21499.htm_
(http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article21499.htm)