[Marxism] Question about search of Marxmail

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Sun Dec 21 07:22:36 MST 2008

someone wrote offlist:

> I needed to find the discussion about the film "Wall-e" that occurred
> in Marxmail a few months ago.
>
> So I went to Marxmail-on-gmane this way:
>
> <http://news.gmane.org/gmane.politics.marxism.marxmail>
>
> and then entered "Wall-e" (in quotes) in the search box at the bottom.
>
> But that's returning gazillions of posts with just the words "wall" in
> it, e.g. all posts with the phrase "Wall street", etc.
>
> Any thoughts on how to do this search efficiently and effectively
> using gmane (or some other way) in Marxmail?
>
> Thanks

Many search engines struggle with embedded hyphens.

1. GMANE will not handle it at all.

2. our search engine: http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/search.htm
collapes the wall-e down to walle and finds one post with wall-e in it:

    http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2008w49/msg00341.htm

3. google search has no problems with hyphen, for example:

            "Wall-to-wall" site:archives.econ.utah.edu

finds several with embedded hyphens. but a search with "wall-e" does not
turn up the one post our own search engine returns.

so unfortunately it is hit or miss. i can discuss with Hans whether our
search engine can be fine tuned for this kind of search.

Les