[Marxism] Why Gay Marriage is the Wrong Issue

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 22 09:09:34 MST 2008

(An article by Bob Ostertag, who used to be one of the leaders of CISPES
(Committee in Solidarity with the People of El Salvador) and a guy I
always found impossibly arrogant when I was a member. More to the point,
he is straight--to my knowledge. At least he was back in the early 1980s.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-ostertag/why-gay-marriage-is-the-w_b_152717.html

It's just plain sad what the gay and lesbian movement has come to.
November 4 was so extraordinary, so magical. The whole world seemed to
come together. Except for gays and lesbians in California. We were
supposed to feel crushed over Proposition 8. And now the whole scenario
is gearing up to repeat itself on January 20: the whole world will
celebrate the inauguration of the first black American president and the
end of the George Bush insanity - the whole world except gays and
lesbians who will be protesting Rick Warren's presence at the inaugural.

How is it that queers became the odd ones out at such a momentous
turning point in history? By pushing an agenda of stupid issues like gay
marriage.

(clip)