[Marxism] Why Gay Marriage is the Wrong Issue

David Thorstad binesi at gvtel.com
Mon Dec 22 14:10:41 MST 2008

Louis Proyect wrote:
> be one of the leaders of CISPES (Committee in Solidarity with the
> People of El Salvador) and a guy I always found impossibly arrogant
> when I was a member. More to the point, he is straight--to my
> knowledge. At least he was back in the early 1980s.)
>

> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-ostertag/why-gay-marriage-is-the-w_b_152717.html
>

> It's just plain sad what the gay and lesbian movement has come to.
> How is it that queers became the odd ones out at such a momentous
> turning point in history? By pushing an agenda of stupid issues like
> gay marriage.
I don't know Ostertag, but it's pretty clear from his article that he
identifies as gay (he uses "queer"). That aside, his arguments against
the focus on gay marriage are right on. As John D'Emilio aptly titled
his article against the push for gay marriage: "The Marriage Fight Is
Setting Us Back." Gay marriage represents selfish me-ism instead of
broadening equal rights for all with regard to the state and the law, as
Ostertag correctly points out.
    It is ironic that older gays have spent their entire gay life facing
questions from family and friends like "Why aren't you married?" and
"When are you going to get married?" Now, with the push for marriage by
a minority of same-sexers, we will be facing the same question all over
again, but coming from a different angle.
David