[Marxism] Why Gay Marriage is the Wrong Issue

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 22 14:34:58 MST 2008

>     It is ironic that older gays have spent their entire gay life facing
> questions from family and friends like "Why aren't you married?" and
> "When are you going to get married?" Now, with the push for marriage by
> a minority of same-sexers, we will be facing the same question all over
> again, but coming from a different angle.
> David

I don't know how ironic it is. It seems that today's gays are determined
to be accepted as normal, a goal that is utterly at odds with those of
the 60s and 70s when every leftist, including straights, thought that
marriage was a bourgeois institution. I remember comrades having a grand
old time at SWP headquarters describing the communist future which
sounded for all the world like something out of Aldous Huxley's "Brave
New World", B.F. Skinner's "Walden Two" and Woody Allen's "Sleeper".
Even to the point that women would no longer get pregnant. Eggs would be
fertilized in a laboratory and after the embryo reached the 9th month,
it would be turned over to skilled professionals who would raise the
children in a communal setting. This was also the time when the party
told comrades not to have children or get married. 10 years later,
nearly every SWP leader was getting married and having kids.

There is a danger, of course, of developing a chip on your shoulder at
today's gay movement which aspires after the dubious prospect of
normalcy. We don't want to be caught in the position of following the
example of Brecht's "The Solution":

After the uprising of the 17th June
The Secretary of the Writers Union
Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
Stating that the people
Had forfeited the confidence of the government
And could win it back only
By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?