[Marxism] old news, sore issues, and what was what

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 23 04:27:12 MST 2008

Referring to a previous discussion about the Vietnam War, when it "ended,"
and the impact of the single-issue Mobilization--- NB "..shared a belief in
1972 that the war could still be won."

National Security Archive Update, December 23, 2008

"We can bomb the bejesus out of them all over North Vietnam."

Archive Publishes Treasure Trove of Kissinger Telephone Conversations

Comprehensive Collection of Kissinger "Telcons" Provides Inside View of
Government Decision-Making;

Reveals Candid talks with Presidents, Foreign Leaders, Journalists, and
Power-brokers during Nixon-Ford Years

For more information contact: William Burr/Thomas Blanton - 202/994-7000

http://www.nsarchive.org

Washington, DC, December 23, 2008 - Amidst a massive bombing campaign over
North Vietnam, Henry Kissinger and Richard Nixon candidly shared their
evident satisfaction at the "shock treatment" of American B-52s, according
to a declassified transcript of their telephone conversation published for
the first time today by the National Security Archive. "They dropped a
million pounds of bombs," Kissinger briefed Nixon. "A million pounds of
bombs," Nixon exclaimed. "Goddamn, that must have been a good strike."

The conversation, secretly recorded by both Kissinger and Nixon without the
other's knowledge, reveals that the President and his national security
advisor shared a belief in 1972 that the war could still be won. "That shock
treatment [is] cracking them," Nixon declared. "I tell you the thing to do
is pour it in there every place we can... just bomb the hell out of them."
Kissinger optimistically predicted that, if the South Vietnamese government
didn't collapse, the U.S. would eventually prevail: "I mean if as a country
we keep our nerves, we are going to make it."