[Marxism] Why Gay Marriage is the Wrong Issue

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Dec 23 13:56:13 MST 2008

rohanger at yahoo.com.au wrote:

> Me:
> Could you please elaborate on this Louis, because I get the impression you enage in hyperbole from time to time when it comes to the SWP.

Mostly it was peer pressure. As I tried to explain in commentary on
Chris Harman's article, the Trotskyist movement does not rely on
expulsions, etc. to keep people in line. Mostly it is about exploiting
what Freud called the super-ego, although I am no Freudian. A sense of
"duty" will make you do all sorts of fucked up things, like convincing
yourself that the objective political situation is rotten-ripe for
revolution in 1979, no less.

In terms of marriage, etc., I remember back in 1972 when a couple of
comrades wanted to use the headquarters for a wedding ceremony. They
were a working-class couple who had never been near a campus. When the
younger comrades found out about this, they talked about it as if the
two were going to work in the police department.