[Marxism] Morales urges action over Cuba

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 23 14:01:32 MST 2008

Greg McD: "Politically speaking, the economic blockade of Cuba is finished."

Really? Get back to me when I can buy a ticket at Orbitz, board a plane in San Francisco, and fly to Havana. Get back to me when it's legal for me to go to Mexico and bring a bottle of Cuban rum back into the U.S. Or even drink it in Mexico.

And get back to all of us when Cubans can book rooms in U.S.-owned hotels around the world, do business with banks which in turn do business with the U.S., and when Cuba can buy a host of things made in the U.S. which they are forced to pay much more for elsewhere, or when Cuba can actually receive money from U.S. television networks for allowing broadcasts of the Pan-American games, and on and on and on.

The blockade may be weaker in some respects than it has been, and Cuba is certainly less politically isolated than it was (not that it was ever *that* isolated, as its presidency of the NAM shows), but the blockade is still very much doing damage to Cuba and Cubans. Billions of dollars worth.

Eli Stephens
 Left I on the News
 http://lefti.blogspot.com