[Marxism] Morales urges action over Cuba

Greg McDonald sabocat59 at mac.com
Tue Dec 23 14:16:21 MST 2008

Greg McD: "Politically speaking, the economic blockade of Cuba is
finished."

Eli: Really? Get back to me when I can buy a ticket at Orbitz, board
a plane in San Francisco, and fly to Havana. Get back to me when it's
legal for me to go to Mexico and bring a bottle of Cuban rum back
into the U.S. Or even drink it in Mexico.

And get back to all of us when Cubans can book rooms in U.S.-owned
hotels around the world, do business with banks which in turn do
business with the U.S., and when Cuba can buy a host of things made
in the U.S. which they are forced to pay much more for elsewhere, or
when Cuba can actually receive money from U.S. television networks
for allowing broadcasts of the Pan-American games, and on and on and on.

The blockade may be weaker in some respects than it has been, and
Cuba is certainly less politically isolated than it was (not that it
was ever *that* isolated, as its presidency of the NAM shows), but
the blockade is still very much doing damage to Cuba and Cubans.
Billions of dollars worth.

Greg:  Sorry not to be more explicit. Politically speaking, the
blockade of Cuba is finished. However that may play itself out in the
years to come, the political groundwork is being laid internationally
for the economic embrace of Cuba by all latin american nations (and
by extension the rest of the world), and the eventual demise of the
blockade, by the very real political rejection of the US policy in
the present moment.