[Marxism] a new world gas cartel?

Paula Paula_cerni at msn.com
Tue Dec 23 18:02:18 MST 2008

'The Gas Exporting Countries Forum (GECF) meeting in Moscow has agreed a charter and plans for a permanent base .... It is feared that such an organisation could hold a monopoly on world supply and set prices to suit its own needs. The countries attending are Algeria, Bolivia, Brunei, Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Libya, Malaysia, Nigeria, Qatar, Russia, Trinidad and Tobago, the United Arab Emirates and Venezuela. Equatorial Guinea and Norway are attending as observers .... Officials at the meeting stressed they were not trying to set up a price-fixing cartel. Venezuelan Energy Minister Rafael Ramirez said participant countries wanted to build a solid organisation, "which has in its foundation the same principles that gave birth to Opec". But he added: "It's not a cartel. We are defending the interests of our countries, that's all." '

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7796806.stm

Paula