[Marxism] The Peoples' Poets addendum

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Dec 24 14:35:38 MST 2008

Picked up from Doug Henwood on lbo-talk.

[from a NYT story on newly published transcripts of Nixon-Kissinger
phone calls]

<<http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/24/washington/24kissinger.html>http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/24/washington/24kissinger.html>

In April 1971, Mr. Kissinger accepted a call from the beat poet Allen
Ginsberg, who hoped to arrange a meeting between top Nixon
administration officials and antiwar activists.

"Perhaps you don't know how to get out of the war," Ginsberg ventured.

Mr. Kissinger said he was open to a meeting. "I like to do this," he
said, "not just for the enlightenment of the people I talk to, but to
at least give me a feel of what concerned people think."

Then Ginsberg upped the ante. "It would be even more useful if we
could do it naked on television," he said.

Mr. Kissinger's reply is transcribed simply as "Laughter."