[Marxism] Army finally admits coverup of Nazi treatment

Mehmet Cagatay mehmetcagatayaydin at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 25 02:33:24 MST 2008

When I first watched the movie 'Stalag 17' on television long time ago the biggest surprise was contrary to what we had been told about the suffering in the concentration camps, being a captive American soldier in a Nazi camp is not horrific as what happened to the Jews. Think about William Holden who playfully trades with his German colleagues. In this type of movies (Stalag 17, The Great Escape or more recently as in Hart's War) the American soldier do not only manage to preserve their physical dignity but boldly confront their guardians both ideologically and psychologically. On the other hand, the hideous Nazi officers who do not refrain from ruthlessly torturing and liquidating desperate and weak Jews in various techniques are reluctant to disregard the provisions of Geneva Conventions in respect of American soldier, possibly by the reason of their hesitation against the capability of American individual to improvise cunning ploys when the things
 get complicated. It is not an unfounded delusion though since both these movies end up with practical American civility outsmarting, outplaying the collective stupidity of German idealism.

I think the reason why American army had covered the actual conditions of its soldiers in the Nazi camps is to prevent the damage to the eternal dignity and courage of the soldier who is the embodiment of the collective universal American.

As I understand, in the WW2 era, one of the prominent images in the U.S was the monstrous Japanese rapist targeting white American female:

http://bss.sfsu.edu/internment/posterhorror.html
http://bss.sfsu.edu/internment/posterenemy.html

It is no surprise that Turks have been told once in a while that how treacherous Armenians raped and brutally butchered pregnant Turkish women in the unguarded villages of Anatolia. But it is all right as it and the illustrations above demonstrates our humane individual vulnerability against the strictly organized brutality of the enemy. But what happens if the enemy rape or transform our soldier to their slave? A total humiliation: It would be like to rape a nation all together. The tolerable fate of soldier is heroic martyrdom and immorality but not to be enslaved by the enemy, this is why the Turkish state welcomed the freed soldiers as if they are disgraceful traitors and shameless cowards. Later it was revealed that some of them are people of Kurdish ethnic background, i.e. they don't deserve to be a Turkish soldier in the first place:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Turkey+charges+freed+troops+with+neglect-a01610809562

Mehmet Çagatay
http://weblogmca.blogspot.com/