[Marxism] Republicans pull White Robes out of the Closet of their Minds

Greg McDonald sabocat59 at mac.com
Sat Dec 27 05:35:16 MST 2008

RNC candidate distributes controversial Obama song
By Reid Wilson

RNC candidate Chip Saltsman’s Christmas greeting to committee members
includes a music CD with lyrics from a song called “Barack the Magic
Negro,” first played on Rush Limbaugh’s popular radio show.

Saltsman, a personal friend of conservative satirist Paul Shanklin,
sent a 41-track CD along with a note to national committee members.

“I look forward to working together in the New Year,” Saltsman wrote.
“Please enjoy the enclosed CD by my friend Paul Shanklin of the Rush
Limbaugh Show.”

The CD, called “We Hate the USA,” lampoons liberals with such songs
as “John Edwards’ Poverty Tour,” “Wright place, wrong pastor,” “Love
Client #9,” “Ivory and Ebony” and “The Star Spanglish banner.”

Several of the track titles, including “Barack the Magic Negro,” are
written in bold font.

The song, which debuted on Limbaugh’s show in late March 2007,
latches onto an opinion column in the Los Angeles Times of the same
title. That column, penned by cultural critic David Ehrenstein,
argued that Obama could serve as a balm to whites who felt guilty
about past treatment of African Americans.

Limbaugh first highlighted the column the day it ran, according to a
contemporary report by Media Matters, the liberal watchdog agency.
Media Matters reported Limbaugh repeated the phrase more than two
dozen times the day the column ran.

The following month, Shanklin debuted his version of the song, sung
to the tune of “Puff the Magic Dragon” and performed in Shanklin’s
impression of Al Sharpton.

“See, real black men, like Snoop Dogg, or me, or Farrakhan, have
talked the talk, and walked the walk, not come in late and won,” one
verse in the song says.

Saltsman said he meant nothing untoward by forwarding what amounts to
a joke more at Ehrenstein’s expense than at Obama’s.

“Paul Shanklin is a long-time friend, and I think that RNC members
have the good humor and good sense to recognize that his songs for
the Rush Limbaugh show are light-hearted political parodies,”
Saltsman said.

Republicans searching for ways to attack Obama have been hesitant to
embrace any reference to his race. Limbaugh presciently predicted his
allusion to the column nearly two years ago would win attention from
left-leaning organizations that would suggest he was using Obama’s
race against him.