[Marxism] New Deal: Racism, and imperialism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Dec 27 08:04:04 MST 2008

Charles Brown wrote:
>Lou Pro's analysis has to assume that he makes a better assessment
>of the New Deal and FDR  on racism and anti-racism than Black people
>themselves did. That's a grievous error on Lou Pro's part. No, Black
>people got it right, and knew where their interests were best being
>served better than Lou's analysis here

Charles, maybe you did not notice the subject heading of the message
you were responding to but it had the word imperialism in it. Today
the Israeli air force has killed 140 Palestinians and wounded twice
that many. Do you think that the Palestinians deserve to die because
they are not in the American working class? Marx said workers of the
world unite, not just Black and white American workers. Your
inability to say one peep about Obama's ultra-reactionary (you would
probably use the word fascist if it was being carried out by a
Republican) foreign policy agenda demonstrates a certain amount of
national chauvinism that has been the Achilles heel of the Stalinist
movement since its inception. It led the CPUSA to cheer for the
internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII and for the atomic
bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Here is what Lenin had to say
about such national chauvinism:

The last third of the nineteenth century saw the transition to the
new, imperialist era. Finance capital not of one, but of several,
though very few, Great Powers     enjoys a monopoly. (In Japan and
Russia the monopoly of military power, vast territories, or special
facilities for robbing minority nationalities, China, etc., partly
supplements, partly takes the place of, the monopoly of modern,
up-to-date finance capital.) This difference explains why England's
monopoly position could remain unchallenged for decades. The monopoly
of modern finance capital is being frantically challenged; the era of
imperialist wars has begun. It was possible in those days to bribe
and corrupt the working class of one country for decades. This is now
improbable, if not impossible. But on the other hand, every
imperialist "Great" Power can and does bribe smaller strata (than in
England in 1848–68) of the "labour aristocracy". Formerly a
"bourgeois labour party", to use Engels's remarkably profound
expression, could arise only in one country, because it alone enjoyed
a monopoly, but, on the other hand, it could exist for a long time.
Now a "bourgeois labour party" is inevitable and typical in all
imperialist countries; but in view of the desperate struggle they are
waging for the division of spoils it is improbable that such a party
can prevail for long in a number of countries. For the trusts, the
financial oligarchy, high prices, etc., while enabling the bribery of
a handful in the top layers, are increasingly oppressing, crushing,
ruining and torturing the mass of the proletariat and the semi-proletariat.

full: http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1916/oct/x01.htm

And, here is what Obama had to say about Hamas, the victim of
Israeli's evil attacks--not to speak of the civilians who are
suffering "collateral damage":

"My position on Hamas is indistinguishable from the position of
Hillary Clinton or John McCain. I said they are a terrorist
organization and I've repeatedly condemned them. I've repeatedly
said, and I mean what I say: since they are a terrorist organization,
we should not be dealing with them until they recognize Israel,
renounce terrorism, and abide by previous agreements."