[Marxism] Israel Uber Alles!

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Sun Dec 28 10:25:09 MST 2008

"Marty Peretz and the American political consensus on Israel"

The New Republic Editor-in-Chief expresses anti-Arab hatred in the  starkest
terms possible, but are his policy views towards Israel any different  from th
e standard American position?

Glenn Greenwald - salon.com ---   Sunday Dec. 28, 2008 08:14  EST

clip --

It remains to be seen if Barack Obama intends to deviate even a small  amount
from what has been decades of excessively loyal U.S. support for Israel  --
which, over the last eight years, transformed into truly blind and absolute
support for anything they do.  It's impossible to know for sure until Obama  is
inaugurated, but the bipartisan, purely "pro-Israel" statements issued by his
allies -- such as Caroline Kennedy and Nancy Pelosi -- don't bode  well, nor
do the statements which Obama himself made during the campaign, as  compiled
yesterday _by Salon's Mark Schone_
(http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2008/12/27/hamas/) :

The first job of any nation state is to protect its citizens. And so I can
assure you that if -- I don't even care if I was a politician -- if somebody
was sending rockets into my house where my two daughters sleep at night, I'm
going to do everything in my power to stop that. And I would expect Israelis
to do the same thing.
Can't the exact same mentality be deployed to justify everything Hamas  has
done and is doing, to wit:  "if a foreign power were brutally occupying  my
country for four decades -- or blockading my country and denying my children
medical needs and nutrition and the ability even to exit -- I'm going to do
everything in my power to stop that.  And I would expect  Palestinians to do the
same thing"?  But the last thing that our political  class ever extends is
reciprocal, two-sided analysis to this dispute.
full --
<_http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/12/28/peretz/index.html_ (http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/12/28/peretz/index.html) >
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.