[Marxism] The fight in the SWP, conclusion (What kind of party we need)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 28 16:26:53 MST 2008

>So what do we really need, right now, in the real world?  And where
>does a party fit into that?
>
>ML

Well, in the U.S., you need a party more or less like what the Green
Party original charter was about:

1. GRASSROOTS DEMOCRACY
Every human being deserves a say in the decisions that affect their
lives and not be subject to the will of another. Therefore, we will
work to increase public participation at every level of government
and to ensure that our public representatives are fully accountable
to the people who elect them. We will also work to create new types
of political organizations which expand the process of participatory
democracy by directly including citizens in the decision-making process.

2. SOCIAL JUSTICE AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY
All persons should have the rights and opportunity to benefit equally
from the resources afforded us by society and the environment. We
must consciously confront in ourselves, our organizations, and
society at large, barriers such as racism and class oppression,
sexism and homophobia, ageism and disability, which act to deny fair
treatment and equal justice under the law.

full: http://www.gp.org/tenkey.shtml

And within such a party, Marxists will function as a loyal minority.

As James P. Cannon once said, the art of politics is knowing what to
do next. In 2000 the Green Party was what to do next. Unfortunately
something else along those lines is needed now since the party was
destroyed by DP supporters like Ted Glick, Medea Benjamin et al.