[Marxism] The Meaning of the Gaza Atrocity

Greg McDonald sabocat59 at mac.com
Sun Dec 28 17:57:37 MST 2008

Gary MacLennan wrote:

<So it is then through a realisation of the isolation of the Zionists
that I
think one can come to understand why they have turned to such a level of
dreadful savagery. The deep sense of shock and disbelief that I felt
as I
watched even the carefully censored footage, has morphed into a
realisation
how Israel cannot survive because it has turned its back decisively
on all
that is best about humanity. There was very clear from the press
conference
given by Olmert, Barak and Livni. Barack is simply a militaristic
butcher
but Olmert and Livini looked strangely despondent and visibly squirmed
throughout. That is what happens when one turns one's back on what it
is to
be human.>

On a more geopolitical note, there is speculation that Israel is
trying to provoke a response from either Hezbollah or Iran, to
justify the initiation of a wider war before Bush leaves office.
Nasrallah was quoted in the Israeli press stating that he fears an
Israeli attack against southern Lebanon, and claims that his forces
have discovered and disarmed missiles that were aimed at Israel. He
suggests they were put there by Israeli agents to justify an Israeli
attack in case they were to be fired at Israeli territory. Although
Israel claims to have learned its lessons from their last military
engagement with Hezbollah, it is difficult for me to understand how
they think a repeat invasion would be any more successful than the
last one. When I was in El Salvador I saw some of the tunnels used by
the FMLN, a strategy they learned from the Vietnamese. Hezbollah has
obviously taken that strategy to the next level. Like any playground
bully, Israel attacks the weakest "kid on the block"  with a ferocity
that beggars belief.  And at the same time, when they're whipped,
they sure do complain about it. Something in me WANTS them to attack
Hezbollah just to see them beaten down yet again. And if I feel that
way, well....

  Not that Obama's policies would be that much different from Bush,
if at all. Even though Obama  has already sided publicly with Israel
over the matter, he is still an unknown and untested entity, so
establishing certain "facts on the ground" before his inauguration
would leave Israel with a certain sense of satisfaction, to be sure.
A former Israeli general has even been quoted suggesting an Israeli
military occupation of Gaza is not out of the question. Maybe they
fear that Obama's talk of a new peace initiative in the middle east
is for real. If that's the case, well, Israel has already achieved a
strategic objective, with the arab street enraged and Hamas calling
for a third Intifada.

This is obviously Israel's self-perceived "window of opportunity" to
initiate a bloodbath which has been meticulously planned for six
months now.
Of course official state policy regards the residents of Gaza to be
sub-human anyway, otherwise Israel would seemingly have some qualms
with regard to the denial of free movement of goods and services in
and out of the area.

  I came across another article in the Israeli press stating that
some Israelis regard the death of one of their own to merit the
slaughter of 100 Palestinians. If I recall correctly, this was the
type of collective punishment meted out by the Nazis in response to
the killing of one of their own by resistance fighters.

Oh, and by the way, to negate another lie put out by the pro-zionist
western media, Hamas is claiming that the rocket attacks from their
end have been carried out by Islamic Jihad.

Greg McDonald