[Marxism] Allen Ginsberg & Henry the K. nude for peace

Greg McDonald sabocat59 at mac.com
Mon Dec 29 09:41:57 MST 2008

<G: If you see [CIA Director Richard] Helms, ask him if he has begun
meditating yet.

K: [About what. ]

G: . . . . . . . . . . on the opium market . . . . . . Long Chin
(spelled phonetically). He promised to meditate one hour a day. I
still have to teach him how to hold his back straight.>

My vision of world peace begins like this. A select group of peace
warriors kidnap leaders of imperialist nations and take them to a
meditation center deep in the jungles of Thailand. They are forced to
complete a ten day meditation retreat, and then return to their posts
to translate their new found wisdom into reality. Of course, the
seasoned meditators of the center have to do a 30 day retreat in
preparation, to shield themselves karmically from the bad vibes being
released by all the negative energy streaming off the psyches of
these poor lost souls.

Those who are unable to complete the retreat due to the experience of
overwhelming pain caused by the release of deep tension, have to do
remedial work at the famous Opium Pipe monastery:

<http://www.discoveringalcoholic.com/blog/the-discovering-alcoholic/
opium-pipe-monastery>

  The first time I heard of the Opium Pipe Monastery in Thailand I
naively thought it must be something like the opium dens of the
movies, full of deranged acolytes seeking some sort of drug induced
spirituality. Wrong. In fact, I could not have been any further off
base. It turns out the Opium Pipe Monastery is more of a slang name
given by the backpacking budget travelers of Bangkok’s often traveled
Khao San Road to a Buddhist temple complex that is properly named Wat
Thamkrabok . Wat Thamkrabok, located about 100 miles north of
Bangkok, got this moniker because of the unique treatment approach
offered here specializing in opioid addiction although they also
accept those battling problems with other drugs and alcohol.

Read more below the fold…

The Discovering Alcoholic speaking with the Black Monk of Thamkrabok
While in Thailand about seven years ago I had the opportunity to
visit Wat Thamkrabok and jumped at the chance. My preconception of a
small monastery with a few quiet monks rapidly began to fade as I
rode through the gates of this sprawling campus seemingly alive with
temple construction projects. This mental picture I had made earlier
was completely dispersed when I was boisterously greeted in English
by an African-American in the saffron robes of a Buddhist monk. This
“Black Monk of Thamkrabok”, aka Gordon Baltimore of Harlem, a
disillusioned and drug addicted veteran of the Vietnam War who found
himself broke down and stranded at the entrance of the monastery over
thirty years ago and never left, has become the official greeter to
those seeking treatment. ...