[Marxism] Blacks versus the New Deal

Tom Cod tcod at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 30 19:13:40 MST 2008

S.Artesian asks how old Klan differed from new Klan as racist terror existed continuously
throughout this era.

This I think is an accurate observation, however, the Klan as a particular organization
had a specific history that led it to have a certain notoriety and hegemony among
organized white racists during certain periods.  The "old" Klan was formed in the late 1860s
by a group of ex-Confederates led by Nathan Bedford Forest, a former confederate general and
played a significant role in racist resistance to Reconstruction and the overthrow
thereof, although maybe less in the latter as it was largely dealt with by Federal troops
and Radical Republican forces; Mark can correct me if I am off on this some.  Subsequently,
it fell into decline and was largey moribund, except in the realm of racist myth, although
lynchings and racist terror obviously did not.

The "new" or revived Klan emerged in 1915-or burst onto the scene might be the better phrase-
on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the defeat of the Confederacy which was being celebrated
by books like the Klansman and its movie version, "Birth of a Nation".  It quickly took on
a mass proto-fascist character throughout the South and became a dominant force
in Democratic Party politics there.  It not only dedicated itself to maintaining the subjection of
blacks through "legal" means of political and social influence but through its well known tactics
of illegal terror which became directed after a certain point not only against blacks, but the
labor movement and other "communists", "Jews" and "n---r lovers".  In 1925 it held a mass
parade in Washington, D.C. which was reported by sections of the mainstream media as if
it were some kind of innocuous Shriner's Parade showing how accepted they had become in
certain quarters.