[Marxism] Zizek, Critchley, "open borders" and finite/infinite demands

Joaquín Bustelo jbustelo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 11:57:16 MDT 2008

"Is 'open borders now' a demand Marxists should be making?"

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Ruthless Critic of All that Exists
<ok.president+marxml at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know I am risking the ire of Mike Friedman and others by raising
> this question, but I think this question is an important one and Zizek
> has a very interesting point about this that is worth discussing.
>
> Is "open borders now" a demand Marxists should be making?
>
> (Of course, it's an irreproachable demand).
>

> A recent article from the ISO said, "The slogan "No one is
> illegal" is not merely a moral imperative, but one based on the idea that so
> long as workers allow themselves to be pitted against each other, so long
> will they remain weak, exploited victims of capitalism."
>
> But if border controls were removed, so many workers from elsewhere
> would immediately move to the USA that US workers' wages would still
> plummet down even more from current levels.

Some outfit in Spain, called something like to commission to help
refugees or immigrants or something like that, points out that Spain
is screwing itself by going along with the new expulsion of immigrants
diktat from the European parliament, because immigrants provide a
basis of cheap labor which allow the privilege jobs REAL Spaniards
hold to be created.

There is nothing ultra-radical or "infinite" about the idea that
people should be able to live where they want to live. If Ecuadorean
president Correa can see his way clear to enunciating this principle
and denouncing the euroscoundrels for wanting borders to be open to
their goods, their gods (both monetary and religious), their ideology,
and even their tourists but NOT workers, then certainly self-professed
Marxists can do no less.

Joaquín

PS: On "finite" versus "infinite" demands. It never ceases to amaze me
how many ways there are to say "white."