[Marxism] The Police Strike Back: Strangle Detainee In His Cell

Sky Keyes-Vogt skeyesvogt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 12:16:44 MDT 2008

Perfect example of how the police are just like any street gang; when one of
theirs gets killed they strike back.  The same goes for corrections officers
in prisons.  Aside from that, I feel I should say something like "so much
for innocent until proven guilty," but we all knew that was BS anyway.

*Attorney: Family 'Outraged' Over Inmate's Death*

*UPPER MARLBORO, Md. -- *An attorney said the family of a man found
strangled in his cell a day after he allegedly ran over and killed a Princes
George's County police officer is "outraged" over his death and the events
that followed.

Bobby Henry, the attorney representing 19-year-old Ronnie
family, is calling for "a thorough and exhaustive investigation."

White's death is being investigated as a homicide by the
Maryland State Police. The state medical examiner said White died from
asphyxiation and strangulation. He suffered two broken neck bones.

Henry <http://www.nbc4.com/topic/Bobby+Henry> angrily denounced the actions
that led to White's death, saying "a yet-to-be-identified person or persons
took it upon themselves to be both the judge, the jury and the executioner."

Officials said seven guards had access to White at the time of his death, as
did an unspecified number of supervisors. Authorities also are investigating
whether anyone from the outside had access to White.

White had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Prince
George's County <http://www.nbc4.com/topic/Prince+George's+County> police Cpl.
Richard Findley <http://www.nbc4.com/topic/Richard+Findley>, 39. Police said
White was the driver of a pickup truck that struck Findley on Friday.

Henry opened by saying, "The family of Ronnie L. White, wishes to extend,
first and foremost, their deepest sympathy to the family of Officer Richard

State police are leading the probe at the request of county officials. The
FBI is focusing on possible civil rights violations.

"We are going to do everything within our powers to assure that justice is
served," said Prince George's County Executive Jack Johnson. "We are going
to work hand in hand with the FBI and Maryland State Police to ensure that
those who are involved to be brought to justice.

"If we have vigilante justice, our society will fall apart. If we tolerate
these kinds of acts, then the courts are superfluous," Johnson said.

The jail also will conduct an internal investigation. Prince George's County
officials said Monday night seven guards were being questioned in connection
with White's death.

"The surrounding circumstances mean that we take a full and complete look
and pull all the evidence together, and we'll make a decision at the end of
that process," said Prince George's County State's Attorney Glenn Ivey.

Curtis Knowles of the Prince George's County Correctional Officers
Association defended the jail's employees.

"It's going to be hard for me to believe that any one of my employees, my
members, had it in their hearts to do harm to Mr. White," Knowles said.

The Prince George's County chapter of the National Association for the
Advancement of Colored People called for a full investigation into the
practices at the jail.

"He stayed in the custody of the Department of Corrections way too long,"
said June White-Dillard of the Prince George's County NAACP. "He should have
been transferred immediately. Obviously, his civil rights have been

Henry said White did not see an attorney while he was at the jail.

Prince George's County jail spokeswoman Vicki Duncan said White was found
unconscious in his cell about 10:30 a.m. Sunday. She said White was alone in
his cell and there were no signs of trauma.

White was admitted to the jail at 12:24 a.m. Saturday and given a medical
assessment before being placed in a cell. Henry said White's family learned
of his arrest through the media on Saturday.

Jail officials said he had been classified as a "high-profile offender" and
was being housed alone in a maximum-security cell. Guards checked on him
every 30 minutes.

Guards checked on White about 10:15 a.m. Sunday. At the time, he was sitting
on the edge of his bunk and appeared alert, according to a press release.

When they returned at 10:30 a.m. with his lunch, corrections officers found
White "sitting on the floor" of his jail cell, unresponsive, the release

Guards could not revive him or detect a pulse. An ambulance took him to the
Prince George's County Hospital Center at 11:08 a.m. He was admitted at
about 11:28 a.m. and pronounced dead at 11:39 a.m., the release said.

Henry said the family also was upset by the delay in notification. He said
it wasn't until about 2 p.m. that the jail's chaplain notified White's
family and told them to go to Prince George's County Hospital Center. When
they arrived at the hospital, they learned White's body was no longer at
there but in the possession of the medical examiner's office in Baltimore.

"At this very moment, the family has not even seen the body of their loved
one," Henry said. "Something is wrong. They have been denied the opportunity
to start the grieving process, which naturally must occur."

County Public Safety Director Vernon Herron said White was in a solitary
cell at the jail and that he was separated from other inmates in the
facility. Herron said no video cameras were in the area where White was
being held.

White was one of four people taken into custody Friday after Findley, a
veteran police officer, was struck and killed by the driver of a stolen
pickup truck.

Findley had been monitoring the truck on Laurel-Bowie Road when at least two
men returned to the vehicle, police said. Findley attempted to block the
truck during an attempted traffic stop, which is when he was struck and
dragged by the truck, according to charging documents.

Findley fired upon the truck, striking one of the people inside, according
to court documents. That man identified White as the driver.

According to court records, White pleaded guilty to illegal possession of a
firearm last year and to drug possession in another case. In 2006, he was
charged with first-degree assault and armed robbery, but the case was
dropped, records show. Last November, he was sentenced to more than six
months in prison, but it's not clear when he was released.

It was unclear if White had an attorney, and family members could not be
immediately located.

Prince George's County Police Chief Melvin High said the other three people
who were taken into custody have been released.

A funeral service for Findley is set for 11 a.m. Thursday at St. Joseph's
Church in Beltsville with interment at Lakemount Memorial Gardens in
Davidsonville. Viewings will be held from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and again from 7
p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Borgwardt Funeral Home in Beltsville.

Gov. Martin O'Malley has ordered the Maryland flag be lowered in memory of
Findley, a 10-year veteran of the Prince George's County Police Department
and a volunteer with the Beltsville Volunteer Fire Department.

The state flag is to be flown at half-staff until sunset Thursday.

More information about the Marxism mailing list