[Marxism] National Assembly conference

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 20:34:06 MDT 2008

As I've posted elsewhere, I share Paul's sense with some differences
of emphasis.  For example, I don't think the resolutions passed from
the floor were a problem.

Most fundamentally, the success of the conference in producing unity
is confusing.  I suppose it was successful, if your yardstick is
whether the 300-325 people from different currents could pass some
time together with killing each other.  My yardstick is whether it
will result in united mass actions in the streets, and that depends on
the responses of the existing coalitions.

Without broad local coalitions to build success from the a bottom-up,
we find ourselves counting on success through a top-down arrangement
of national bodies.

There are also a couple of other observations.  During Vietnam, we
held these conferences during the school year.  Had this conference
been called, built and held earlier--maybe six to eight weeks
earlier--we'd might well have had five times as many participants.  Of
course, student resistance is not what it was in the 1960s, but it's
very real, very intense, and very needing of a focus.

Finally, I wasn't pleased with the dates for the actions, and would
have loved to see a national mass action before the elections.
However, I understand that this was what the coalitions wanted or said
they'd consider for united actions.

Let's hope they have the sense of following through on them.  When
they do, we can honestly regard the conference as a real and
substantive success.

ML