[Marxism] Fidel Castro: The McCain Tour and the Manifest Destiny of the U.S. Fourth Fleet

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 2 11:49:21 MDT 2008

Walter Lippmann wrote:
> Some people DO think Obama is the "main danger" and that's proven
> by the overwhelming preponderance of materials posted to Marxmail
> against Obama. About the only anti-McCain materials posted on this
> list are by people like Fidel Castro posted by people like myself.

Once again I have to state that nobody in their right mind thinks that
Obama's positions are worse than McCain's. Maybe Walter is referring to
some other "main danger", like Obama lulling the left so that he can
bomb Iran or something. I do believe that Democrats often carry out
policies associated with their Republican enemies--like Clinton
abolishing welfare--but I would never have referred to Clinton as the
"main danger".

In fact, I think we all know where this kind of hysteria about the
Republicans comes from, Walter's favorite group on the left:

"The Communist Party in the 1996 elections was in harmony with the
majority of working class voters. While we were sharply critical of
Clinton and the Democratic Party, we understood that the most important
challenge was to attack the main danger; the fascist threat coming from
the far-right Republicans."

full: http://www.pww.org/archives96/96-11-16-1.html

> It's as if there's a special campaign being conducted to supposedly
> disabuse the readership of their "illusions" about Barack Obama.
> Every time he does something which all capitalist politicians do -
> move to the right and betray one or another promise or illusion by
> his supporters, a gleeful posting will be certain to find its way
> to Marxmail.

All capitalist politicians *do not* move to the right, as the McGovern
campaign of 1972 demonstrated. Ever since 1972, the Democrats have run
as Eisenhower Republicans. This is not because they are afraid of losing
elections, but because of the exigencies of the capital accumulation
process. We are now given the choice of voting for an Eisenhower
Republican or a Reaganite Republican. I wouldn't have voted for McGovern
myself, but at least I can tell the difference between him and an Obama:

I have no secret plan for peace.  I have a public plan. And as one whose
heart has ached for the past ten years over the agony of Vietnam, I will
halt a senseless bombing of Indochina on Inaugural Day.

There will be no more Asian children running ablaze from bombed-out
schools. There will be no more talk of bombing the dikes or the cities
of the North.

And within 90 days of my inauguration, every American soldier and every
American prisoner will be out of the jungle and out of their cells and
then home in America where they belong.

And then let us resolve that never again will we send the precious young
blood of this country to die trying to prop up a corrupt military
dictatorship abroad.

George McGovern, 1972 acceptance speech