[Marxism] MDC weaknesses

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 3 10:35:39 MDT 2008

I think it would be very hard to quantify levels of imperialist influence--
but those who think the history of the Spanish Republic and the civil war
are not germane to the discussion of Zimbabwe, "national revolutions,"
cross-class coalitions, etc. would benefit from a truly close study of the
issues at hand during that period in that country.

I would strongly recommend ]The Spanish Republic and the Civil War,
1931-1939[ by Gabriel Jackson.  Jackson points out that the second republic
had been grappling for 5 years with the problems that today we now call
"underdevelopment," and attempting to do so without giving itself over to
civil war and revolutionary expropriation.

In addition that problem of underdevelopment was "uneven" in its
manifestation with advanced industrial and agricultural areas scattered
among and existing adjacent to the most backward relations of landed labor.
And indeed, it is that question of landed labor, of land "reform" that
proves itself so intractable to reform.  It is in the Andalusia that Spain
upon the Reconquest developed its latifundia system, complete with a master
class of war captains, and the racism against the rural laborers who more
and more became landless.  I'm sure that this will sound familiar to our
comrades in Latin America.

And there was foreign ownership of the MOP in Spain-- ATT owned the
telephone works, etc. etc.

Moreover, the Republic suffered from the same actions that "underdeveloped"
nations suffer today from their own and the foreign bourgeoisie whenever a
radical government comes to power-- capital flight, refusals to extend
credits, currency runs, etc.

But the real issue, that cuts across continents and eras is this argument
that somehow imperialism oppresses all classes of an "underdeveloped"
country, and that therefore all classes will support a program that opposes
imperialism, and that is based on the unproven notion that there can even be
made a distinction between international and "native" capitalism.

I think that close study of Spain, but not just Spain, but Bolivia,
Venezuela, Chile, Argentina (including and particularly the Isabel Peron
years), Brazil proves that all classes are not oppressed by imperialism, all
classes will not support a program that opposes imperialism as, in fact, the
distinction between international and native capitalism disappears as the
basis of each and both, private property in land and labor, must be attacked
in order to resolve the problems of "underdevelopment."